As Chair of the 2014-2015 School Library Month Committee, I am asking for your help in spreading the word about planned activities for SLM. This being the 30th annual celebration of School Library Month, we wanted to honor school librarians for the amazing job that they do everyday. We are thrilled to announce that Julianne Moore, the Academy Award winning actress and children’s author, is our Spokesperson! She will help promote our theme, Your School Library: Where Learning Never Ends.
To celebrate this 30th anniversary, we have planned the following activities:
- The Student Digital Storytelling Festival. Let your students showcase their creativity! We’re holding a student storytelling contest using different AAS Best Websites for Teaching & Learning. Students will be divided into four grade levels, K-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12. Prizes will be awarded by guest author judges! The deadline for submissions has been extended to Midnight on March 20th.*
- The School Librarian Showcase. We’ll be showcasing – based on your submissions – the exciting work you are doing to support student achievement and literacy. Please encourage your constituents to participate in this activity and share their wonderful school librarian stories. *
- The School Library Ambassador Initiative – look for this on social media throughout April and later on Pinterest.
- The Author Gallery and Tip of the Day Calendar –look for this on social media throughout April and later on Pinterest.
- Send us your Best Shot – this will be a Twitter and Instagram activity announced at the end of March.
- Professional Development Sessions – see Website for details.
*These activities are important to share ASAP.
Thank you very much.
Chair – School Library Month Committee
Author: Susan Hess