By Amanda Jones and Shannon DeSantis Gile
The AASL National Conference, being held October 21-23, 2021, in Salt Lake City, will be here before you know it. Here are some of the ways that social cedia co-Chairs, Shannon DeSantis Gile and Amanda Jones, use social media to connect with fellow conference goers before, during, and after the conference to enhance the conference experience:
Before the Conference
- Follow folx that are also planning to attend the conference by checking out the #AASL21 hashtag on Twitter and Instagram.
- Utilize these web badges to share with others that you are attending and/or presenting.
- Post your picture with a social media frame on your social media platforms.
- Follow our #AASL21 Social Media Squad members, including social media co-chairs Shannon and Amanda on Twitter using the AASL21 Social Media Squad Follow List to learn about upcoming events and announcements.
During the Conference
- Share your learning! Post information learned you gained at a session, tag presenters, and share session materials via social media.
- Did you hear a great quote at a general session? Share it out on social media along with a picture and tag the speaker.
- Did you finally meet a friend in person whom you’ve only spoken with virtually? Share how you were able to connect with members of your PLN at #AASL21 via a social media post.
- AASL National Conferences Exhibit Hall is a great way to meet your favorite authors and learn about new products from vendors. Post pictures of the people you met and products you discovered while exploring the Exhibit Hall.
- Did you see something interesting while exploring Salt Lake City? Share the destination so others can visit it, also.
- Take pictures of your state’s chapter assembly delegates during the parade at the Opening General Session and tag your state organization.
- Attend a special event like the Welcome Home: AASL Welcoming Session or the Rock Out Celebration and tag the new friends you make.
- Don’t forget to use #AASL21 so others can find your posts.
After the Conference
- Post your top takeaways, memories, and favorite resources.
- Create a photo album on social media and share your AASL photos.
- Blog about your experience and share by using hashtag #AASL21.
- Are you unable to attend, but want to share pictures, resources, and events that are taking place at the conference? Retweet posts by members of your PLN using the hashtag #NOTatAASL.
Social media is the perfect way to preserve the memories made at the conference, share resources, and connect with other school librarians. AASL National conferences are conferences devoted specifically for school librarians and an opportunity to network and celebrate school librarianship. We hope to see you there, and we encourage you to utilize social media to enhance your experience!
Author: Amanda Jones
Amanda is the 2021 School Library Journal Co-Librarian of the Year, a 2021 Library Journal Mover and Shaker, the 2020 Louisiana School Librarian of the Year, and a 21 year educator from Watson, LA. She’s a teacher-librarian and certified reading specialist at a 5-6 grade middle school. She is Vice President of the Louisiana Association of School Librarians and is the 2019 AASL Social Media Superstar Program Pioneer. Amanda is an active member of several committees for AASL and is on the Louisiana Young Readers’ Choice Awards Committee. Visit her library website at lomlibrary.org and/or find out more about her at http://librarianjones.com/.
Categories: AASL National Conference & Exhibiton, Association News, Blog Topics, Community, News, Professional Development
Leave a Reply